Monday, October 13, 2014

HW Series 2 Mystery Models


My sudden fascination with the Hot Wheels Asphalt Assault fantasy model led me to these Mystery Model blind bags, which promised the casting in a deco exclusive to the series. I was thrilled to pick one up, and thought I'd take a chance on a few more. The  Asphalt Assault did not disappoint, and while I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, the casting's obvious homage to Mitsubishi race cars really appeals to me...



While on the subject, the yellow Mitsubishi Double Shotz from this series has a great deal going for it, but falls short due to the color in my opinion. I like the casting, and love the vac metal pipes in back, but would prefer it in almost anything but yellow- perhaps one of my least favorite colors for diecast cars...



The Lotus Sports Elise is a good casting, and much better color than the aforementioned Double Shotz, but the racing stripes complicate the body's topography. I'm not always a fan of tamped headlights, but these look pretty good...



 The Steel Flame pickup has some pretty rough surface aberrations in the diecast body, and the black bed cover is ugly, but I like the unusually shaped wheel wells and red rims, and even the "spaghetti" graphics. Ultimately this truck falls short for me, but it could be the rather plain top side... needs a sticker on the bed cover maybe...



 Now the '63 T-Bird from this series is a solid casting, with a diecast undercarriage and body. The plastic interior on mine has a mildly wonky spot near the passenger door, but it's minor. The paint is also a little rough across the body on that side, but it's still a cool car. One could beg a better color scheme, but it's not terrible. I like castings with the undercarriage extended through the grill & headlights, and repeated through the tail lights in the rear...



They each came with a sticker featuring the enclosed mystery model, which I'm unsure what to do with... back in the day I'd slap this on my Trapper Keeper. Do kids still take those to school or am I showing my age ...?


Make It FAST- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment